On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:27, Phil Rabne wrote:
> I tried inserting the suggested two lines as follows after the "#!bin/sh" comment:
>
>       PATH=/philtr/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2./jre/bin/java:$PATH
>       export PATH
>
> Of course I'm assuming that 'jre' stands for, java runtime environment
> (of course one knows what happens when one assumes!) No luck.

First, try

locate -r 'bin/java$'

I see this:

[...]$ locate -r 'bin/java$'
/usr/local/bin/java
/usr/local/ImageJ/ImageJ/jre/bin/java
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2/bin/java
/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_02/bin/java
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/jre/bin/java

Try this command:

ls -l /philtr/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2./jre/bin/

I suspect that gives an error message.

I don't think the period after 1.4.2. should be there, because I
happen to know that people at Sun would never make a directory
name ending in a period.  It just isn't done, even though there
is no rule against it.

So try this:

ls -l /philtr/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/bin/java

You should see something like

-rwxr-xr-x    1 philtr   philtr      24564 Jun 20 05:04 java

Once you have found your java executable, fix PATH.  Try

PATH=/philtr/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/bin/:$PATH

and then

java -version

This works until you exit the shell where you fixed PATH.
So either change your .bash_profile, or put the PATH into
the script.

> I then inserted a '#' in front of the JAVA... statement, still no luck.

Not something to do.  The _ is just another letter in the variable name.

JAVA_IMPL=`java -version 2>&1 | head -1 | cut -f1 -d' '`

That line means the following:

Set the variable JAVA_IMPL to the string following the equal,
after expansion.

The stuff after the equal means:  execute the pipeline and
replace the backquotes and all inside with the output of the
pipeline.  The pipeline executes 'java -version', i.e. it
runs java with the option asking it to print the version.
It assigns stderr to the same file as stdout (2>&1), and
pipes the output into the head -1 command.  That
discards all but the first line of the output.  The
single line goes into cut -f1 -d' ', which takes the first
field delimited by blanks.

So JAVA_IMPL is set to be the first word of the first line
output by java -version.  In the case of Sun's 1.4.2, that
is "java".

But I don't see where JAVA_IMPL is used.  It isn't exported,
and it isn't reference in this script.

> Now I'm really scratching my head.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I'm attaching a copy of 'start-freenet.sh' just in case I'm missing a
> critical statement further down in the file.
>
> Of course I might be in the wrong directory altogether. The other
> 'java' executable is in:
>
>       "/philtr/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java"

Hmm.  Should have read all the way down.  You found the right
bin/java above, but made a typo in your PATH= command.

Actually, I find that the two files are identical:

cmp /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java \
    /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/jre/bin/java

produces no output.

> While this is headed to the ethernet, I'll be playing with:
>
>       PATH=/philtr/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java:$PATH
>       export PATH

This should have worked.

Rumor has it that 1.4.1_02 works better with freenet.  I have
both, but use 1.4.1_02.

-- Ed Huff