On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Anonymous wrote:

> I have tried time and time again to get freenet running only to be met with
> one frustration after another.
>
> The last version of freenet that worked and actually allowed me to retrieve
> freesites and frost content was build 5017.
>
> Since that time the various changes have changed freenet into a time
> wasting resource hog that gets no results at all.
>
> Now I find out that enough changes have been made that 5017 no longer seems
> to work at all.  oh it starts ok, but it rejects every entry in the
> seednodes.ref file on the freenet site, and is thus unable to talk to any
> other nodes.  It has also gotten so busy that I can no longer run it on a
> p233, which with 5017 I *could* do!

The protocol used on the stable network has been changed.  Builds up to
5065 use one protocol, 5066 and later use another.  seednodes.ref on
the Freenet site is compatible with 5066 and later and incompatible
with earlier builds.

If you wish to continue using 5017 you need to either restore your earlier
version of seednodes.ref or find someone who can supply you with such.

Your alternative is to download the current stable build.  This is at
build 5068; because of bugs, 5066 has been replaced twice in a couple
of days, and I believe that at least one significant bug has just been
reported -- so it can't be said to be stable at the moment.

I have access to nodes on both networks (call them stable-5065 and
stable-5066).  Both work.  The stable-5065 node continues to collect new
files but the stable-5066 doesn't.

--
Jim Dixon  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   tel +44 117 982 0786  mobile +44 797 373 7881
http://jxcl.sourceforge.net                       Java unit test coverage