On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:05:40 -0700
Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can I run Freenet on Mac OSX?
> If so, how do I go about doing it?
> Thanks.

Yes. These instructions assume that you already have a JRE. I don't
recall ever manually downloading one, so I guess Sun's 1.4.1_01-24 must
have come with Panther.

First, you'll need to obtain the latest build of whichever branch
(stable or unstable) you prefer. The latest build distributions will
always be located at:

http://freenetproject.org/snapshots/freenet-YYYYMMDD.tgz
http://freenetproject.org/snapshots/freenet-unstable-YYYYMMDD.tgz

For example:

http://freenetproject.org/snapshots/freenet-20040428.tgz
http://freenetproject.org/snapshots/freenet-unstable-20040428.tgz

Download whichever you prefer, then `gunzip` and `tar xfv` the file. If
you download using Safari, it will automatically decompress with Stuffit
Expander.

Open a terminal session and cd to the Freenet directory, e.g. `cd
~/Desktop/freenet` and run `./start-freenet.sh`. Reply to the
configuration options and a fairly default freenet.conf file will be
generated. The script then starts Freenet itself.

If you need to set some configuration options that the preconfig script
doesn't ask for, you'll want to run `./stop-freenet.sh` now to stop the
node, then modify freenet.conf. TAKE GREAT CARE in what editor you use
to edit freenet.conf! I don't know whether it's a line break problem
with the autogenerated config file, or a problem with OS X's copies of
vi and pico (I suspect the former :) but anytime I edit freenet.conf
from the command line, it gets mangled. Use Apple's TextPad application
to edit the file.

When you are finished editing the config file, run `./start-freenet.sh`
again.

-s