On 25 May 2004 at 13:37, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004, Ian Clarke wrote:
>
> > That is a shame.  Clearly I don't agree with your reasoning, there is no
> > evidence that any other language would not have similar or worse issues
> > (consider the amount of time we would spend dealing with memory leaks
> > and array overflows had we implemented in C++). As for focus,  our
>
> Not to mention the issues with portability on a C/C++ implementation.

Issues with portability? If we were talking a GUI app I'd agree with
you, but the core of freenet is basically a pure backend is it not?
The only visible UI most of the time on Windows is a systray icon or
the Web interface; the latter's retrieved via HTTP and will work with
any browser on any OS, and the former is not something Java supports
directly anyway, so displaying a suitable icon in a suitable
background-tasks part of the UI is system dependent any way you slice
it, causing exactly as many portability headaches in Java as it would
in C or C++ -- maybe more since you probably have to wrestle with the
hairy JNI to pull it off, rather than just having one, platform
dependent #idfef-filled source file with the appropriate functions
duplicated for all the different supported platforms.