Having found that I was using Mozilla 1.6 for most browsing, I allowed it to become the default browser with EarthLink TotalAccess.  Before that I'd had
Internet Browser as the default and simply exited it before calling Mozilla for Freenet use.

Apparently Mozilla 1.6 (at least when installed as the default Browser) is unable to send proper orders to get downloads of Freenet files from the 'host.'  By cancelling all copies of Mozilla browser (it is slow to load and often has an extra copy or more in memory) and activating I.E. I was able to get the latest Freenet to download using the Win-installer of Freenet.

Hope I can remember this problem (and how to get around it) in a week.