i suppose the heavy cpu usage arises because the node tries to contact all nodes it
knows. this of course won't work as it is not connected to the internet. a solution
would be to delete the routing table so it
doesn't even know of other nodes and it cannot try to contact them which will result
in a nice, fast booting and completely isolated local node for your tests:

- stop the freenet node
- cd into the freenet directory
- delete the files: ls* ngrt* rt* seednodes.ref
- start the node

HTH

if you want to re-integrate the node again download the seednodes.ref (or the .bz'ed
version) from http://freenetprogect.org/snapshots/
dunno, but it might be necessary to delete ls* rt* ngrt* again for the node to reseed
itself. then again maybe it will reseed automatically from the seednodes file if it
has too few noderefs.

PS: why OS/2 runs so much smoother is still a miracle... could be because OS/2's
network subroutines are better programmed than the ones in windoze or because the node
bugs on OS/2 and does not try to
connect the known nodes or some other reason