On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 07:52:10PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I am running Win XP with IE and Zonealarm Pro (active and switched off, no
> > difference).
>
> Please don't use IE with Freenet.  You don't want to compromise your anonymity,
> whether you now feel you need it or not.
>
> As for the problem you describe, it may be that you just need to keep running
> Freenet.  When I've gotten those messages (and everything should have been
> okay) I've noticed that they just go away after a while.  A small possibility
> is that everything *is* running okay, but your node doesn't know about enough
> other nodes yet, and the few it does know about maybe rejected your node's
> advances because they were too busy at the moment.  Like a busy signal on the
> telephone.
>
> Remember also that Freenet, unlike other peer to peer networks, doesn't offer
> the convenience of turning it on only when you want.  For the node to work at
> all well, it needs to integrate itself into the network.

On the other hand, Freenet should be more sustainable in the long term
as it really penalizes leaches, and requires a medium term commitment of
resources.

> When I started my last office job, I learned everyone's name and got on a
> conversation-basis with them sometime before I actually was able to get in on
> the rumor distribution chain.  It's roughly the same (in effect) with Freenet.
Right. The node has to learn about the other nodes, as well as finding
more nodes to talk to. Also there are initial problems with connecting
to other nodes.

> Run it as much as possible until you can reliably retrieve a few sites.

You don't need to actually USE it much; it should learn by itself. You
can encourage this process by trying to browse sites, or installing
Frost (http://jtcfrost.sf.net/).