On Friday 09 July 2004 12:15 am, David Masover wrote:
> What's the health of Freenet as a whole right now?  I'm getting lots of
> pages taking forever to load (or never loading), and I think it's still
> using 100% CPU on my 200 mhz router on 768k (up and down) DSL, even
> though the browser is on another machine...

My node isn't running too well either, even after leaving it on for a few
days.  Did you leave it running while properly opening up the port it uses
for incoming connections in your firewall (if needed)?

> I was planning to make a permanent node, but I don't run it much
> anymore, because my brother games (so he needs high bandwidth and low
> latency), and Freenet is still the most costly service I run on that
> thing (in terms of CPU, bandwidth, etc.)

I have an 2.5G Athlon XP w/ 1G of RAM and I don't notice that it's running.
It tends to play nice on my system regardless of my success in getting any
data out of it.

> I know it's been mentioned before, but I'll state for the record that I
> think Java was a bad choice.  Rather than start a new flame war, I'd
> like to go read up on why it was chosen (any archives I should look at?).

That's a good idea.  A discussion based on backing out of Java at this point
is totally pointless and would set the project back another X years.  I'm
not sure my archives even go back that far, but the basis for choosing Java
should be obvious; platform independence and a rich API that comes standard
with the language.

> For the record, I have never, ever seen a java program load quickly, run
> even tolerably fast for anything beyond the most basic things, and I've
> never seen an open source implementation of Java work firsthand.  I
> don't like the syntax, but that's a personal issue -- I'd love to be
> proven wrong on this.

You don't have much experience with Java then.  Freenet is atypical of a
Java application IMO.  I would argue that Java has found a nice home in the
Web Services market (JSP, Servlets, EJB), but Freenet attempts to be all
things that Java isn't necessarily good at (for starters, NIO is something
not necessary for most web apps).

All this aside, when routing doesn't work in Freenet it can't be blamed on
the language it was implemented in.  Broken routing can easily be coded in
C, Python, assembler or whatever language you desire.  On the other hand
being tied to a proprietary language like Java under Sun's control isn't
helping matters much.  It's hoped this will change when one of the Free
Software implementations of Java (gcj, Kaffe) becomes more stable wrt
Freenet.

--
Jay Oliveri
GnuPG ID: 0x5AA5DD54