Toad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:04:47AM +0000, Wayne McDougall wrote:
> > I *am* concerned when you express great surprise that Freenet will work
> > at all
> > on a 768/256 connection. (That was my take on it). I get the impression
> > that you expect Freenet to require an academic university level of
> > bandwidth
> > to function appropriately. Maybe that's the state the project is at now,
> > or heading to. But IMO it needs to be viable at a consumer level of
> > bandwidth.
>
> I didn't. I have a 1024/256 domestic grade cable connection.

Different views on what's realistic? Will Freenet just be a US or bandwidth
rich countries project? The government in New Zealand has decided that
256/256 is the highest broadband speed that our telecom monomoply needs to
make available to competitors. :-(

128/128 is the fastest connection available domestically without
a monthly bandwidth cap that Freenet would blow out of the water in 5 days.
There aren't any business level connections that wouldn't be prohibitively
expensive. Which leaves academia (and even per department most would frown on
Freenet).

Ok I appreciate we're just in a sucky part of the world. I get the impression
others are too. But when I read:

***