Klaus Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> freenet tries to connect to
> some strange IPs from time to time. So far I noticed connection
> attempts to:
>
> - 5.0.2.0
> - 5.255.116.166
> - 1.121.22.146
>
> All these IPs are IANA reserved (and will be blocked by ProtoWall
> for that reason). I'm wondering why freenet tries to connect
> to this IPs, maybe it's a bug? Anybody else noticed such a
> behaviour?

I suspect that this is because some clueless network administrators have
given machines on their LAN's these addresses. The computer that
have these ip addresses will be behind NAT's so when they make outgoing
connections it comes from a real ip allocated by the ISP they are
connected through.

Another classic one is morons who use 192.0.0.0/8 instead of
192.168.0.0/16 then wonder why they can't reach website like
adobe.com at 192.150.14.120

zb