On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:30:35PM -0800, Sonax wrote:
> Hi all.
>

> Money:
> I'm not into the details of how often toad get's paid or how much
> money is usually raised on a average month, but it would seem that
> the project has some extra money currently. If it is just a result
> of people being in a happy christmas mood, ofcourse those money
> should be saved for the summertime (or when ever), but if it is a
> result of the project making/getting a bit more money than it takes
> to pay toad maby they should be put to use?
> Maby starting a bounty system for those things that toad can't fix
> easily would make things run more smoothly (i can't help wonder if
> the win-installer issues would have been fixed faster if toad,
> besides saying that it should be fixed asap also had promised xx$
> to the first person to fix it?).

I don't have the authority to do that.

> Ofcourse such a bounty system should be more organised (who pays
> the money, who is the judge of when a problem is solved etc.)
> But i think it might have it's strength in windows and mac specific
> problems that toad can't fix, and maby also in other problems that
> i as a non coder don't really understand.
> Or, if the money is there, a second (part time) coder would be
> possible? I'm just throwing it out there. I have no insight into
> the echonomy of the project besides what can be read off the web
> page.

That might be possible. However the only way to be really sure is to
try. And trying is quite hazardous. Anyway Ian is the person to talk to
about this. I believe KenMan was interested.

> Snapshots mirrors:
> When someone in the irc channel asks for a .ref file or similar and
> they can't connect to freenet.org (for various reasons - censor or
> hosting problems), i would like to have one (or more) unofficial
> mirrors to point them to. Since i'm trying to remain semi anonymous
> i will not send them to http://my-ip.dk/snapshots-mirror/.
> So if someone would mirror these files and put a list of mirrors
> out (on the wiki or in the channel topic or where ever), i think
> that would be a great help for some (comming) freenet users.

Well if it's a censorship problem, don't you think they'd get blocked
too? :)

But it might be worthwhile anyway.

> Project progress:
> With toad (and friends?) working mainly on the simulations and few
> new builds comming out it is hard for the average user, who dosn't
> folow the conversations in the irc channel to see if anything is
> happening or we have all gone home and left the project for dead.
> I think it might be good for morale, feeling of comunity etc. if
> toad (or someone else?) once in a while posted a little info of
> what is going on, to one of the mail lists.

Agreed. I should post more status reports. :)

> I know it is hard to translate the numbers and graphs of the
> simulations to somthing that we all (coders and non-coders alike)
> will understand, and i'm not asking for a 10 page scientific paper,
> but just a confirmation that somthing is happening. (Yes, i know
> that toad is hired as a coder, not a journalist, but i really think
> it would be good for keeping people around.)

It's not unreasonable to expect me to keep the lists informed of current
work and progress.