Matthew Toseland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How do you suggest we fix the problem? If freenet was compilable that
> might help I suppose. Hopefully 0.7 will be.
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:56:42PM +0400, Danila Medvedev wrote:
> > Under win2k Freenet (latest version, downloaded webinstall without Java -
> > Java 1.4.2_06 already installed) connections show up to my firewall
> > (AtGuard!) as javaw.exe
> >
> > In process explorer I see javaw.exe as a child process of freenet.exe.
> > Creating a general firewall rule permitting all outgoing connections
> > requires me to allow them not just for freenet, but for all java
> > applications.
> >
> > This is not very good from a security standpoint. It would be preferable
> > if this problem (albeit a minor problem right now) was somehow fixed in
> > the future.

The only obvious way I can see around it right now is to make a copy of
javaw.exe just for Freenet use in the same directory where it is currently with
a different name, and update the javaw.exe line in Flaunch.ini ... I haven't
tried this but I think it should work. If so your personal firewall should let
you set different permissions on it.

If that doesn't work you could install another JRE somewhere just for freenet.
Or if you think it's some issue with both exe's being recognised as the same by
your firewall (having the same hash), add random byte(s) of junk on the end of
your copy, execution should never reach that point so it shouldn't cause any
problems.

Bob