I've installed freenet using freenet-webinstall.exe on a Windows XP Professional
SP2 computer using an account in the local Administrators group. The install is
in the default Program Files location. I need to run freenet from an account in
the Users group. By default, data and configuration files are written to the
install directory, but Users do not have write permissions for the Program Files
tree, nor should they. It is exceedingly poor development practice to write data
or configuration there - please change this!!!

I then used NodeConfig to repoint storeFile, tempDir, logFile, and
diagnosticsPath to more appropriate locations where Users can have write
permissions. Unfortunately, I get the following errors in the log in spite of
these changes:

----
java.io.FileNotFoundException: node-temp (Access is denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at freenet.node.Main.writeNodeFile(Main.java:3075)
        at freenet.node.Main.spawnNode(Main.java:1034)
        at freenet.node.Main.main(Main.java:908)
28-Jun-2005 10:08:49 PM (freenet.node.Main, main): Caught
  java.io.FileNotFoundException: node-temp (Access is denied)
  running or seeding node
java.io.FileNotFoundException: node-temp (Access is denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at freenet.node.Main.writeNodeFile(Main.java:3075)
        at freenet.node.Main.spawnNode(Main.java:1034)
        at freenet.node.Main.main(Main.java:908)
Exception in thread "main" java.io.FileNotFoundException: node-temp
  (Access is denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at freenet.node.Main.writeNodeFile(Main.java:3075)
        at freenet.node.Main.spawnNode(Main.java:1034)
        at freenet.node.Main.main(Main.java:908)
28-Jun-2005 10:08:49 PM (freenet.node.Main, main): Unexpected Exception:
java.io.FileNotFoundException
java.io.FileNotFoundException: node-temp (Access is denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at freenet.node.Main.writeNodeFile(Main.java:3075)
        at freenet.node.Main.spawnNode(Main.java:1034)
        at freenet.node.Main.main(Main.java:908)
----

If I then run freenet with administrative rights, I find that freenet is still
writing a file called 'node' to the executables install directory. Seriously
folks, this is simply wrong! Despite what those idiots in Redmond think, daily
computer use should always be with an account having only Users rights, not
Administrators. One simply does not allow user writes to a directory containing
executables! Obviously, freenet testing is not being performed in the correct
environment.

Now, how do I repoint the remaining writes from the install directory to
locations of my choosing?

For the time being, I will be using freenet in transient manner and since I use
a Users account virtually all of the time, it is most inconvenient to have to
log in as an administrator just to make freenet work. There is no reason why
freenet should require administrator rights, so even when I run it 24/7, it
needs to work without them.