The new information about version 0.7 sounds pretty good, but one thing
about it concerns me.  Assuming I don't know anyone who is using freenet,
how do I get onto the network?  (Remember, I'm asking this about the next
version, since it says you can only connect if a "friend" lets you.
Assuming I don't have a friend already using freenet, how do I get
connected?)

This change worries me (unless I'm mis-understanding it), since it
basically ties the network to a group of real-life friends, it creates a
nice friendly map that the authorities could use to find everyone
interested in a given subject.  I don't think the Chinese government would
have any problems getting someone's computer and seeing all the "friends"
it lists.

In short, it seems like this change would create a set of isolated
networks, and remove the plausable deniability of the previous network.

The "network of trust" concept seems to me to be deeply flawed, since
spies have been able to infiltrate even the most guarded networks of
"friends" (ie. the Mafia, the Manhattan project, etc).  Trusting "some guy
I met on the internet" doesn't seem like something I'd really want to do.

I guess another way to look at it is that the network seems to be going
towards being more useful for people in countries like China and less
useful for people in the US.  Plausable deniability is more useful in the
US, whereas secrecy is more useful in China.  While I feel for people in
China, I myself am in the US, and so therefore look at the project from my
point of view (especially in the current political climate).

I'm also a bit concerned about the constant restarts, it seems that the
project is following the "fad security of the month" (although networks of
trust were around with PGP like 10 years ago).

Anyway, the reason I'm asking about this is because I currently have
Paypal set up to donate $20/month to the project, but I'm not
sure if I like the direction it's going.

Any better explanation of how this will work (mainly "how can I connect if
I don't already know someone") would be greately appreciated.

Thanks.

--- John