No, and no.

Firstly, with classic routing, we did associate the closest node with
the key. Secondly, 0.5 no longer uses classic routing (it uses NGR).
Thirdly, 0.7 will use a different algorithm again. :)

NGR: http://www.freenetproject.org/index.php?page=ngrouting
0.7: http://freenetproject.org/papers/vegas1_dc.pdf