i'm confused as to what exactly your trying to do. when you open the gateway,
you should see two percentages, load and outbound message overhead. generally
speaking, you want these to be low. not necessarily as low as possible but you
definitely do not want them reaching 100%. they are not targets. 100% or more
load or 100% or more outbound message overhead is a bad thing. really the first
thing to do would be to set up your Freenet. snce your from NZ using DSL,
iguess you only have 128k upstream. s make sure you set your upstream bandwidth
limit to perhaps no more then 13kbytes/s. if you're on a 256k downstream
package, i also recommend you set you downstream bandwidth limit even if it
isn't strictly necessary.

then i recommend you leave your node on for perhaps 6 hours. after this you
should have a number of open connections, transfers etc. if you do not, there
is a problem, come back here.

also be wary. the nature of freenet is that it is always transferring data in
and out. if as with many nzers, you only have 10gb, your quota may quickly
disappear if you're not careful, you might want to limit you upstream and
downstream further (if you have a 2mbit connection, it's probably a good idea
to limit it just in case). watch your quota carefully. if you want to use
freenet efficiently, you should consider one of the ihug plans with a 'high'
data allowance, perhaps the 40gb/40gb one.

good luck.