Bob wrote:
What does "java -version" at a console output? My guess would be that you need
to use Gentoo's java-config tool (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/java.xml) to
select this as the user and/or system VM.

Unlikely, I didn't install java at all under gentoo
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

I simply added /opt/jdk1.5.0_06/bin to my path (and set JAVA_HOME to /opt/jdk1.5.0_06)

I didn't install java because I didn't want the added heacache of having multiple versions of java on my system at once, and gentoo hard-masked java 5, so installing the version I wanted using the os was out of the question.

Hmm, maybe. A default install on windows makes a freenet.ini something like the
below.

Thank you but I should have specified.  I am looking for a 0.5 freenet.conf