A C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi,

> I am located in China, where access to Freenet downloads are blocked.  I use a
proxy so am able to download through that, but the installer does not include
all of the files and tries to download those itself.  This does not go through
the proxy, so it is blocked.

Which version of freenet are you trying to use, 0.5x or the 0.7 alpha?

In the words of Matthew Toseland, lead developer, "using 0.5x in china isn't
only a bad idea, it's impossible." It's a bad idea because it's fairly easy for
a powerful adversary to harvest the network (build a list of all freenet nodes),
and of course things like freenet are banned in China. I suppose it's impossible
because they found a way to block it again e.g. by recognising session bytes.

The 0.7 alpha is *NOT* safe yet for dissident-grade activities either. In
darknet operation it should be better than 0.5 generally speaking provided your
peers are trustworthy, BUT there are still considerable risks associated with
using alpha software with various features not implemented yet e.g. MiTM attack
resistance. Also the installer is not yet made with dissidents in mind, e.g. it
automatically opens the project website at the end!

> Is there a package that includes all of the necessary files for a simple
install on windows?  How about posting some instructions to help people like me
install?  How about a torrent seed for this build?Thanks.

At the moment such a thing does not exist. It is possible to make "offline"
installers for 0.7 that include everything, which should happen at some point.
Again though, I have to stress that anyone who uses alpha, unfinished anonymity
software in a freedom-hostile country is taking a considerable risk.

Bob