Thanks for the suggestions so far!
A couple clarifications:
I was thinking of running Ubuntu or Knoppix.
I want to run Fuqid & frost on the remote windows machine(s).
(does that make it alot harder)

I've messed around with linux a few times over the last dozen or so years, but have always gone back to the dark side... Installation of software - applications & drivers - can be a real pain, Windows almost always just works. I consider myself a fairly advanced windows user (as would the people who call me for tech support), but linux often makes me feel clueless. I've played around recently with some of the "live" distros, which seem pretty decent, but I haven't had to install anything in extra in them yet. So hopefully, the stuff needed to make freenet work won't lead me down the highway to dependency hell...

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.