Freenet 0.7 build 1173 is now available. This build is self-mandatory i.e. it
only talks to nodes running at least 1173. Freenet should be able to upgrade
itself automatically using "Update over Mandatory", pulling the data from
nodes that are "TOO NEW". If it doesn't, please upgrade manually using
update.sh / update.cmd. We have had a node running build 1151 upgrade itself
successfully via Update over Mandatory; but builds prior to 1173 had some
serious bugs that would prevent a successful update until it was mandatory.
So we made it mandatory immediately, so all nodes would update. This may
cause some temporary network disruption, sorry folks...

Also if you are running a node prior to 1165, upgrading to 1170 or later will
automatically migrate your datastore to salted-hash. This is not intended,
but we only started writing the store type to disk in 1165 (6 weeks ago).

I apologise for the self-mandatory build, and for the 4 builds in a day. It
was necessary because of a series of rather serious bugs. Most serious were
the updating bugs fixed in 1173:
1171:
- In1170, all users were forced to go through the first-time wizard again (or
click on the I-am-not-a-newbie option). Partly this is to ensure that nodes
get configured even if the user installs and then forgets about it, and comes
back and finds it doesn't work. But this also affects existing nodes. The
idea behind this was that most nodes on the network are probably old-timers
who may not have set trust levels. Unfortunately, the wizard overwrites your
bandwidth limits and datastore size, without telling you if it manages to
autodetect them! In 1171, we ensure that if you use the wizard after having
configured your node, it always shows the bandwidth and datastore selection
pages, and defaults them to your current settings.
1172:
- Don't force all users to go through the wizard. Only redirect to the wizard
if it hasn't been visited before, AND the node has no peers and/or has
opennet disabled. Hence it will be shown on a new node install that the user
has forgotten about (which was the real concern), but not on most nodes.
- Fix Update over Mandatory triggering instantly on seeing a new build on
nodes that have been online for more than 3 hours. Unfortunately, fixing this
greatly exacerbated the other updating bugs - the node would not update at
all until a build was mandatory.
- Fix a bug causing very small freesite and file inserts to be decompressed
more than once and therefore fail.
- Faster and simpler LZMA decompression (came up while debugging the above
issue, greatly reduces the number of lines, simple copy/paste from third
party code; low risk).
1173:
- Major bugfix to Update over Mandatory (it was only working when the build
was mandatory, and not falling back to it if Update over Freenet failed,
which it was doing because of the next bug).
- Major bugfix to Update over Freenet (the "normal" updating process, which is
much less disruptive to the network than UOM).