Please, when replying to newbies, CC them, because they're often not
subscribed to the list. I've bounced your message to the poster.

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 12:26, Luke771 wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:42:11 +0000 (GMT)
> Markus Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> Sorry if I explain things that you know already, but I don't know what your
general competence level is, so I'll assume you know very little, just in
case (and it may be useful for someone else, too)

> > I am able to reach and open some of the sites I want to, but frequently I
get the message that a site seems to be unreachable, sometimes concerning a
site that opens some minutes later.

> This is expected on a newly estabilshed node. The first thing to do to get a
new node to work better is to set the max store size and max memory usage
(both in your config page at http://localhost:8888/config).

> But first lets talk about uptime quickly: Freenet needs to sun as much as
possible. The optimal would be to let it run 24/7, but morning to night every
day is also fairly good. What you DON'T want to do is 'start freenet -  visit
freesite - shut down freenet'. It won't work. Freesites will take ages to
load (when they do) and you'll be damaging the netwrotk. Let freenet run as
much as your computer runs, and if you don't have an always-up box, consider
letting your computer run just for the sake of freenet. the more Freenet
stays up, the better your node will work, and themore it will help the
network.

> Back to configuration; as we said, you should set store size and max memory
usage to higher values than the defaults.
> You may have done that when you went through the Freenet First.time Wizard,
but if you kept the defaults your store size and memory usage are very low
because the defaults must work for everyone including users running on a
junkware boxes in countries where they don't consider 700MhZ and 256MB RAM a
low-end machine.

> The values are different according to your box and the usage you make of it,
but the rule of is 'the more the better'. See how much HDD space you can
dedicate to Freenet and set your store size to that; some have dedicated
Freenet disks 500GB or 1TB in size, others have 250+ GB freenet stores, but
50GB is already fairly good. Remember than the bigger the store the better
your node will work, because more stuff will be cached (encrypted) locally
and will be fetched way more quickly when request it.

> As for max memory usage, you can set this even higher than can afford in
theory, becuse freenet won't allocate all the memory you give to it. High max
mem values are needed in my experience because mem usage will peak sometimes
and if it tries to use more memory than it's allowed to use, the node may
crash.
> Those who operate machnes with 3 or more GB of RAM are known to set max
memory usage up to 2GB.
> My node runs on box that only has 1GB of RAM, Freenet is set to use max
770MB of it, and the node works pretty well.

> I used to run nodes on virtual machines with max memory usage set to 256MB
and they worked pretty well as long as I didn't queue too many or too large
files for download/upload; therefore, if you are limited by the physical
memory installed on your box, (for instance you can't set max mem. usage to
anything higher than 256 or even 128MB) you will have to run few
downloads/uploads at a time (wait for them to complete, then add more).
Remember it's not the number of files, it's the total size.

> Bandwidth usage settings are kind of relative. If you have a good connection
(10MB+ high upload BW) you can set your bandwidth usage as high as your total
bandwidth and freenet will never use but a fraction of that, but if your
connection is medium-low, you'll need to limit freenet BW usage. In my
experience trying to help new users get started, I've seen that the
difference between upload and download bandwidth may be a problem. ISP'
tout "high speed connections" without ever mentioning anything about upload
bandwidth.

> As an example, a connection that the ISP refers to as '12Mbit/s' never does
what the ISP says it should: first of all 12MB/s (1.5MB/s) is a nominal
value, the actual bandwidth rarely exceeds 2/3 of the nominal value stated by
ISP (more often half of it), and most importnat, the higghly publicized
12Mbit/s is only the download bandwidth. They never say anything about upload
speed. If you're lucky you have 2Mbit/s but ,more often 1Mbit/s fot 'high
speed' connections and 512 or 256 Kbit/s for medium range connections.

> So, the point is, find out what your -upload- stream in KB/s is (find out
what your ISP say your upstream is, then divide by 8 to get bytes; ISP's
always talk about bits). Decide how much bandwidth you can afford to give
freenet in upload and set that value under max bandwidth usage in config
page. As for download bandwidth you may want to keep the defult -1, meaning
4x the upstream. If you are one of the few lucky that have high upload
bandwidths (as high as download), you may want to set the same value for both
upload and download.

> > I am totally new in this subject and all my real-world-friends are
no-techies and no-nerds, so I still have no "firends" in the sense of
trustworthy nodes to connect with or in the sense of darknet-members. Might
this be the reason why some sites are closed for me?

> No. If you don't know anyone who runs Freenet, you just run Opennet
(strangers) without adding anyone to your Daknet (friends). Freenet will work
just as fine.

> > Should I try to manipulate the router in order to "forward"
>
> Yes you should. You can already access the router's web interface; now the
point is how to configure a forward.
> Interfaces are different for different routers but they're all pretty
straightforward if you know what you need to do, and in your case what you
need to do is:

FOR PROTOCOL: udp only
FOR PROTOCOL: udp only

> yes, it's two ports, one for darknet (friends) and one for opennet
(strangers). The port numbers of the ports you have to forwards are listed at
the bottom of your Friends page, under 'ports used by the node', marked 'you
may want to forward this port'.

> >or should I turn off the firewall?
>
> If for firewall you mean one of those annoying software firewalls that are
so popular among windows users, that ask you whether to allow a program to
connect and/or recieve connections, you want to allow Freenet to both connect
to the internet and receive connections from the internet (some fiorewalls
call the latter "act as a server")

> Observe that at least on some firewalls, you'll need to allow Java to
make/recieve connections and not Freenet itself. (I think the executable that
needs the permissions is javaw.exe but I'm not 100% sure, you may want to
double check that)

> If you use the kind of firewall that simply open closes ports, you want to:
> ALLOW <darnet port>,<poennet port> DIRECTION: both PROTOCOL: udp
>
> > Or is freenet running properly and the seemingly closed doors seem so due
to the restrictions a newbie in darknet with a fresh node has to come around
with?

> Freenet seems to be running fine. It should work even without port
forwarding nut it would be -MUCH- better if you do configure the port
forwarding.