On Wednesday 21 January 2009 18:16, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:28:47 +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> > > Mine just "crashed" recently. Actually, it shuts itself down pretty
> > > cleanly, after outputting the following age-old messages:
> > >
> > > Restarting node: PacketSender froze for 3 minutes!
> > > Exiting on deadlock.
> > > Restarting node: MessageCore froze for 3 minutes!
> > > (USM deadlock)
> > > Goodbye.
> > >
> > > In general, I do notice that freenet bogs down my 1.2GHz machine
> > > quite a bit. Could that be the cause of these freezes/deadlocks?
> > > Can't it be less cpu/mem intensive? If I recall correctly, it does
> > > run smoothly for the first few hours, then slowly grinds itself
> > > (apparently) and my box to an unbearable crawl.
> > >
> > > Maybe we could make those messages more informative? For example,
> > > before having the node shut itself down, have it dump it's list of
> > > threads or queues or whatever.
> >
> > Give it more memory. If you can't give it more memory, throw the box
> > out the window and buy a new one. If you can't do that wait for the
> > db4o branch.
>
> My main point in my last post was a suggestion to have the error
> message more informative. As another example, have it output it's
> memory/cpu usage before it shuts itself down, in the case of the
> deadlock I mentioned.

How do we get CPU usage from java? We can say how much memory is in use, how
many threads are running, get a thread dump...

> Also, why is there such a high requirement?? Why on earth is 100MB
> memory not enough? If it can't allocate any more memory, it should wait
> or throttle itself. Restricting freenet to the latest unecessary
> super-computers is dumb. (It really should be developed on a 486.)

Because it has a lot of stuff to track. People propose rewriting Freenet in
kernel-mode C with 1KB blocks every so often, as an example. That means 32X
more disk seeks, 32X bigger bloom filter, and so on; it's not feasible.

Memory requirements depend on two things:
- The datastore. The bdbje datastore uses a significant amount of memory, with
significant churn, inside the JVM's allocated space; the salted hash
datastore uses very little memory inside the memory limits but uses 1/2048th
of the store outside of the limits as a memory mapped bloom filter to limit
I/O.
- Client layer activity. Lots of large downloads use lots of memory, uploads
use even more (because of inefficient architecture).

> When is the db4o stuff expected to be released?

When I get around to it. :| The immediate todo:
- Release 1203
- Implement basic progress screen.
- Get db4o sorted and merged.
- Sort out plugins (IMHO important for 0.8).
- Auto-update (and update.* update) the seednodes file.
- Maybe new metadata (IMHO the assumptions underlying this item may no longer
be valid...)

> > Seriously, EVERY time I have investigated these sorts of issues the
> > answer has been either that it is showing constant Full GC's because
> > it has slightly too little memory, or that there is external CPU
> > load. Are you absolutely completely totally
> > 100000000000000000000000000% sure that that is not the problem?
> > AFAICS there are two posters here, and just because one of them is
> > sure that the problem isn't memory doesn't necessarily mean that the
> > other one's problems are not due to memory??
>
> There are reports on FMS of people with gigs of ram, and powerful
> machines, with crashing nodes.

Just because they have lots of RAM doesn't mean they've set the wrapper memory
limit that high.

> Though, I'm not sure if it's the same
> problem, as my node hasn't really crashed this time--it just shut
> itself down. (Before I would get JVM hung errors, without any clean
> shut downs.)

This is closely related IMHO.