On Friday 23 January 2009 01:53, [Anon] Anon User > wrote:
> -----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----
> Message-type: plaintext

> > users

> > This is now largely accepted in the development team as a long-term goal.
> > saces is working on something like this based on wxWindows. However, a
> > dedicated browser/client (somewhere in between probably, e.g. there is no
> > point in converting all the config pages to tabbed dialogs) would likely
be a
> > significant amount of work and require a significant amount of
maintenance.
> > So it's not a priority for 0.8.0.
>
> I hope that as Freenet moves to this new UI, somewhere in the days 0.8+++,
that
> plain old browser support is not discontinued.  There's plenty of us who
know how
> to be secure with a browser and don't mind doing things like using a
separate
> profile for the purpose with tighter settings.

And with various "features" turned off, and with lots of connections enabled,
and so on.

There have been some question marks over whether it is possible to load an
image from an external domain and get a callback when it is loaded - if so,
it may be possible to time fetches of specific sites from javascript on an
unrelated site. Meaning running a web browser on a system with access to
fproxy is dangerous. I haven't tested this, maybe you'd like to?

> I think there's a lot of use who prefer to stay with that functionality
rather
> than a shiny new whiz-bang UI.

Fproxy will still be available as a plugin in any case.