On Saturday 08 August 2009 11:07:50 Stephen Mollett wrote:
> On Friday 07 August 2009 23:36:05 Juiceman wrote:
> > That's very interesting!  That IP resolves to China, I believe:
> >
> > Pinging 197.36.202.62.cust.bluewin.ch [62.202.36.197] with 32 bytes of
> > data: Request timed out.
>
> ..ch is Switzerland (China is .cn); it looks like a dynamically-allocated DSL
> address, which raises the question: How does Freenet handle nodes that
> suddenly change their IP if the ISP doesn't allow them to renew their lease
> on the same address?

It does its best in difficult circumstances? Mostly it manages, even on
darknet. You want more detail? If your node is port forwarded/open, and one of
your peers changes its IP (or port, due to NAT issues), it will reconnect. If
your peer changes its IP and you change your IP (as happens e.g. when you are
offline for a while), or if you are not port forwarded, life is more difficult,
but we try to look up the new address via ARKs, keys inserted with our up to
date noderef. All this depends on knowing our IP address, so it is necessary to
find that out either from our peers or from STUN servers or the local router
via UPnP (which also forwards the ports).