On Friday 23 July 2010 22:44:12 Juiceman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Collette Lynner
> <colle...@mlwebworks.com> wrote:
> > This is strange, but I ran a scan which shows that the installer
> > 'Freenetinstaller-1261', which I dowloaded from freenetproject.org a couple
> > of days ago, is infected with a trojan, labeled
> > Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Geral.jjl!A2
> >
> > What's your advice?
>
> It's very probably it is a false positive that has to do with our
> installer/packer software.  Future editions will not be compressed
> using this so we can avoid this issue.  Not sure just when they will
> make this change in the releasing scripts, though.

IIRC it's already changed. But it seems very unlikely given it is compiled on
wine on a dedicated user ... conceivably it could be infected if the compiler
was infected when I downloaded it but I'd think we'd have heard about that
before now; and it seems very unlikely anyway.

IMHO it is more likely that either:
- It is a false positive. Scan it with a different anti-virus program. IMHO
this is the most likely reason; some virus signatures are very broad and pick
up things they shouldn't. OR:
- The file was tampered with before it got to you e.g. by a malicious proxy.

If you can get a copy on a clean system, it would be useful if you could
compute ths SHA1 or SHA256 hash of the file, or just upload it somewhere, so we
can compare it to the original.