Hi,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 22:11, Mark <perkype...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm  thinking of using a machine with 2G of RAM and implement a 1G
> ramdisk, the  bartPE itself will be on a read only bootable USB stick.

FWIW, I think there's a configuration option to make the node keep its
datastore
in RAM without having to use a ramdisk. I can't remember exactly where it is
now
(I'm not at my node) but that might be worth looking at - it may be more
efficient than going through the filesystem layer.

Of course, it might be worth considering (perhaps for a "version 2" after
you've
got the basic stuff working) having an option to export (and, obviously,
re-import) an encrypted archive of the "vital statistics" (node keys, etc -
optionally the datastore, although that would require it to be stored in a
filesystem so the archiver can access it) so that if the operator needs to
reboot for administrative reasons, he doesn't have to restart his node from
scratch. Obviously, he'd need to wipe/destroy the backup media afterwards so as
not to defeat the original purpose of having a RAM-based node...

Stephen

 --

I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere!