On 08/31/2010 11:36 PM, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> Yea, data persistence isn't that great at the moment. But you
> "hosting" all the data just isn't how Freenet works. (Someone correct
> me if I'm wrong.) Each node is intended to specialize around a tight
> keyspace -- I believe this is intrinsic to the routing algorithms.
> I'm not sure how your "location" (every node has one, which is
> directly related to the keys you're supposed to specialize in) would
> be handled if you hacked the code to promiscuously handle any key. My
> guess is it would make the topology of the network less efficient.

if this is true it is totally not what i expected.  very interesting!

>> so, ahh, what does the persistence column exactly mean in freenet?
>
> Good question :b.

i grepped through the source but i couldn't figure it out.  looks like a
question for toad.

1.  it seems i need to verify whether or not persistence = forever is
keeping a local copy.  sounds like it might not be.

2.  if there is some tight key space voodoo going on then maybe whip up
a script to check periodically if file foo is available and if not reinsert.

am i thinking about this correctly?  many thanks for suggestions!

- eric c