> Which means that if somebody is attacking you he will substitute both the
> signature file and my key when you download it. So you gain very little,
> unless you have some other trust path.

Well, they should also hijack the connection with the keyserver site. While
being the man in the middle in a HTTP connection (thus, the one used to
download the freenet binaries) can be easy, hijacking a SSL/TLS protected
one is hard.
Oh, the HKP protocol used to transfer keys is cleartext too, being it over
HTTP.
Well. Please come to my house, show me your documents and the fingerprint of
your public key.

Please.

:)

Oh, and come again after 2015. ;)

> Trust is hard. Even if you pay money to "solve" the problem, there are lots
> of cases of problems with paid for certs.

Yup, some. But you will agree that the problematic scenarios with signed
X509 certs are scarce and almost insignificant if compared to
web-of-trust-based ones.

By the way, how much would it cost "you" (I mean, to the community) a
certificate that would last, let's say, for three years? Just curious, if
you ever checked.

Cheers!
--
Fabio