Freenet 0.7.5 build 1329 is now out. It will be mandatory on Monday. It may be
somewhat disruptive, so please report any problems you find. This build does
what 1324 was supposed to do, but with various bugfixes. Specifically, it lays
the foundations for new load management:
- Two-stage timeouts: When we are waiting for a peer to do something and it
takes too long, we give it some extra time to tell us that it failed because
the next node on the chain took too long. If it doesn't, we know the node is
responsible for the timeout, and we treat this as a fatal timeout, because we
can no longer be sure how many of our requests are running on this peer, which
is a big problem for new load management. A fatal timeout results in a
disconnection. On darknet this is temporary. On opennet, it would be permanent
i.e. until we get the peer again from path folding; but this is turned off for
now so that we can get the code out without causing too much disruption if I
missed some important bugs that cause unnecessary fatal timeouts.
- Load messages: New load management will rely on nodes knowing how much
capacity they are allowed to use on each of their peers. This will allow us to
only send requests when there is a reasonable chance of them being accepted,
and to queue requests until we can route them to the best node for the key.
This should improve routing accuracy significantly, therefore improving data
retention, as well as improving throughput.

Please upgrade! Thanks!