Look at the rest of the phrase:

>> temporarily turn off your router and computer firewall

In other words: temporarily turn off your router firewall and your computer
firewall.

> Can confirm a software firewall can be a problem, mine still kept the FN
> ports closed no matter I told it otherwise.
> There was a link somewhere in the FN help pages pointing to a site that can
> test if particular ports are actually opened.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. The one I use all the time is
[www.canyouseeme.org]. I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

> A problem when choosing a firewall app is that many only allow for
> applications to connect, not to open ports manually. Back then the wrapper
> ran as a windows service and I didn't see possibillities to allow a service
> internet access.

I'm not too familiar with the specifics of windows networking--could you
explain in greater detail?