Dennis Nezic wrote:
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 14:20:03 +0100, Jep wrote:
Matthew Toseland :
On Thursday 24 Feb 2011 23:27:01 Nomen Nescio wrote:
you have a right to know

USK@1WZPo6qZmlCpi6rZWjtz~kig1gcpcnzh5drmqpW9L8Q,ksaFFDkSJfnOXB3ppYhQ2R14z3W
QCYxGqXNERCYcHD0,AQACAAE/wordsoftoad/-1/
I'm only going to say this once.

First off, it was nearly 5 years ago.

Second, I made it clear in the post and the extensive discussion at
the time that Hereticnet and Freenet are (hypothetically) *two*
*different* *networks*, using
different (albeit related) software.
No need to defend, Matthew. The idea of internal censorship may be a lousy one, at least it sounds like that to me.
But the conclusion our anonymous crusader starts out with: 'proof of
his hypocrisy' and you not to be trusted, is pretty ridicilous. Were
you indeed not to be trusted, you wouldn't have done this
brainstorming about a sort of censorship-from-the-inside in the open,
and were you out on implementing whatever backdoor in FN in order to
expose users, you'd surely not published about it at all.

That's exactly what I would do, if I was a malicious uber-coder, to win
your trust :D.

Joke, seeing the :D but interesting still.
Trust, IMO is given intuitively rather than gained by control, in this case by peer review of Toads code.

To non-expert me it seems that someone smart enough to program software for a complex network, surely is able to hide a backdoor effectively. Seeing what all functions can be crammed in a very small trojan.. It comes down to: do I dare to do what I want to do with FN?, and that is not so much determined by if I trust the person Toad but if I trust myself doing that in particular using Freenet, the way I want to.

Me, I thoroughly distrust everything with M$ in its label, because the company has so many times deceived its users and played foul towards competition.
But that doesn't keep me from using its OS. It just dictates how I use it.

Peculiar concept, trust. One could translate the word with self awareness. Do I trust my own judgment and instinct.

The remailing whistle blower above might wonder how he feels about his own actions and attitude instead of wavering his finger.