On Fri, 6 May 2011 18:57:13 +0100, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Thursday 05 May 2011 03:26:45 Dennis Nezic wrote:
> > For the past several builds, I'm not sure exactly when the issue
> > started, before build01364 at least, my node experiences quite high
> > disk IO, which bogs down my computer. I think once I left it alone,
> > and it resolved itself after a few hours, but usually I have to
> > restart Freenet to make my server more useable.
> >
> > My "vmstat 5" reports bi (bytes-in, that is: reading) between
> > 4000-10000. (Under 100 after I stop Freenet.)
> >
> > My graphs[1] show it to be suspiciously periodic, although that
> > might just be a coincidence.
> >
> > Is there some kind of background (periodic) database/datastore task
> > that might be causing this? My wrapper.log shows no output during
> > these events, nor does fproxy say that anything is going on.
>
> Active downloads/uploads?

Yep ... a few active downloads -- about 30MBs each. (One got completed
much earlier in the day -- but nothing unusual was happening during the
problem peaks.) It happened again last night [2][3], suspiciously
almost exactly 24 hours after the last time. I didn't stop my node this
time, and it "fixed" itself (at least the plateau) after over 2 hours,
although disk IO was still quite high throughout the night [2] and
early morning.

> > [1]
> > http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/freenet-periodic-high-io.jpg

[2] That's what she said.