On Sunday 21 Aug 2011 15:45:39 Volodya wrote:
> On 08/20/2011 01:34 AM, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > On Friday 12 Aug 2011 05:24:38 jimstr wrote:
> >> Hi - I just want to confirm that I will not be able to run freenet on my
> >> machine (OS 10.5.8 java 1.5).
> >> Upgrading to OS 10.6 (snow leopard) is impossible because of the PPC based
> >> architecture.
> >>
> >> Unless freenet can still work with java 1.5?!
> >> Thanks
> >>
> > Yes, Freenet requires java 1.6. You may be able to get it working with
> > OpenJDK. Failing that I recommend you install a modern linux which supports
> > PPC. Debian or Gentoo would probably work on it, for example, although I
> > doubt Ubuntu supports it, and the first two distros are a bit geeky.
> > Running a network connected system with no security updates is always a bad
> > idea.
>
> Last Ubuntu which did PPC was 6.06, but it's quite old, and you will have hard
> time installing java which is not OpenJDK there if you are not geeky enough to
> work with Debian.

Yes, recent Sun doesn't support PPC, but OpenJDK does, and if it's a recent
version of OpenJDK, it should work well with Freenet.

IMHO the geeky debian or gentoo distro's are probably your best option,
although there may be some wierd PPC distros out there. The learning curve
isn't _that_ bad nowadays, the installer will put a GUI in, there are update
notices, everything you could ever want is packaged, and so on. You will need a
backup first though, or maybe a new disk; if the objective is to keep costs
down, just write a backup and reconstruct (especially if you have installation
media for 10.5.8; if you don't you'll need to mess around with resizing
partitions, you might need a liveCD for that ...) I repeat what I said
originally: don't run obsolete unmaintained operating systems, it isn't safe.