Freenet 0.7.5 build 1404 is now available. Please upgrade ASAP, it will be
mandatory on Friday, but as it should fix the network's current problems, you
should upgrade RIGHT NOW (auto-update should do it). There are two changes:
- In 1399, the local requests code was rewritten to use fewer threads, because
NLM was expected to do more local requests at once. A severe bug slipped in,
causing AIMD's to not be updated when a request gets a RejectedOverload. As we
eventually discovered, AIMD's are necessary even with NLM, and I am planning
further improvements to AIMD's. And of course with NLM currently turned off by
default, this was catastrophic. This is now fixed, so hopefully the network
will sort itself out. I should have predicted the problem with local requests
and done 1399 first, and given it a week to test, and THEN enabled NLM; I was
less cautious than I should be due to wanting to get NLM out quickly so we
could do a release.
- A rare NullPointerException related to the one connection per IP code.

Sorry about the recent problems. Please upgrade immediately, and let me know
how it goes! Further improvements are planned next week; I want to see that
this fixes everything first, and I have substantial study commitments so am
only working part time for Freenet now.

Thanks for using Freenet, and thanks for not leaving while the bugs get sorted
out. I do believe that NLM, when properly tuned, will make the network more
robust, both against attackers and internal problems, and I don't see any
reason to think that the local requests problem will be repeated (it was a
once-only change), but like I said, sorry for all the problems...

The funniest thing about this is that screwing up AIMD feedback during major
refactoring to requests has happened before, and relatively recently ... I will
try to ensure it doesn't happen again!