On 12/09/2011 02:26 PM, Chris wrote:
> I am looking into setting up a distribution where Tor or freenet is used
> to create a secure and anonymous environment for communicating.
>
> One of the issues with freenet is that it is slow. I haven't used it in
> many years and do understand it has gotten much better. I also am aware
> that after a few days it gets faster as popular data is retained and gets
> 'cached' on your node and nearby nodes based on what those around you are
> doing.
>
> What I'm trying to figure out is what happens when your node is not on
> 24/7 and you can only connect infrequently for several hours at a time.
>
> Many users have a persistent local threat that they need to be aware of.
> Leaving a server running is not an option as it could be compromised by an
> adversary.
>
> Removable media can reduce that threat. What I'm looking to find out is if
> you run a freenode from a removable media and then run a local server
> running freenode to use as one of your peers (which could be on all the
> time) does this post a threat?
>
> If no local server is run that you peer with how is the speed if you only
> connect every few days? Is running freenet for a few hours to several
> hours going to be sufficient or will it be unbearably slow?
>
> With Tor speeds are frequently severely limited. Especially with .onion
> nodes. Some non-onion servers can be accessed with significant speed
> though for sustained periods (15-300... maybe faster).

The bigger problem with Freenet isn't really speed, it's the latency (i.e. how
long it takes for the data to begin being actually downloaded after request or
be uploaded after the insert starts). That part gets better if you are connected
after some time.

Also you didn't state if you are looking for anonymous publishing or anonymous
downloading. If it's for publishing then Freenet will actually be better than
Tor for you, since after the user goes offline the content doesn't disappear,
and the adversary cannot determine the user simply by looking at patterns in the
accessibility.

However, if you are looking for something which will protect the user, who
cannot run any software for a long period of time and wants to download the
material right after going online, then perhaps something like Tor is better (at
this time).

Of course, what do i know?

              - Volodya

- --
http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast

 "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin