You have a way to start Freenet without the tray? Does that not use the
run.sh? The tray is not strictly necessary, and the currently deployed
version is out of date. We have a new version of it written but it's not
deployed yet.

You can start Freenet without the tray by opening a terminal, navigating to
the directory Freenet is installed to (with cd), and running ./run.sh start