Arne Babenhauserheide:

> This reasoning falls for 3 misconceptions:
>
> 1. You do not give your Darknet friends the key to your house. You only
> make it easier for them to break in by letting them see the insides
> as if they looked through the windows. In Opennet everybody can get a
> connection to you and run exactly the same attacks a darknet friend
> can run. So by switching to darknet, you pull down the blinds and
> *only* your Darknet friends can look through. With Opennet you do not
> have blids, so everyone can look through.

The logic of this escapes me. I'll explain below.

> 2. If you are doing things LE wants to know badly and they already know
> your physical identity, nothing can protect you. If they do not know
> your physical identity, they also do not know your friends. If they
> get to know your friends, they also get to know you, which gives them
> your IP address, allowing them to run all Opennet attacks against you
> — which are easier than darknet attacks.

Is that a fact, am I on an 'open' Darknet, connected to Opennet
too, less vulnerable, also towards an evil 'friend'?

> 3. You do not give your Darknet friends your in-Freenet identities. To
> be safe you have to start a *new* identity in Freenet, without ties
> to people you know physically.

Thanks for replying. I had not thought of separating real life
friends from FN 'friends', because I have understood exchanging
noderefs requires real-life trust in the other person. That trust
implies shared interests so we'd be friends on Freenet too.

I am not telling anyone I use Freenet, if only for the obvious
question why I need it.

- Well, maybe I do not need it but I do feel anonymity and
encryption is important.
- Oh? For what?
- Protection against the all-seeing eyes of Google, NSA... for
which reasons I hate Facebook and so on.. technics are
interesting.. mail is very unsafe.. it's a rat race of encryption
against NSA spionage..
- Man what a bullshit. Ain't you got something better to do? For
that reason you run a complicated, slow network? I should encrypt
mails to you? The NSA is interested in our cracked programs?
- Yes they read everything.. all talks over phone are registered..
worldwide spy industry.. will you read wikileaks?
- Alu hat?

I can't afford Freenet friends.  Few understand, most don't want to
know any of this.

Am I wrong that exchanging noderefs makes you more vulnerable
towards a 'friend', also more vulnerable over the net?
That person knows my IP adress, that I run a node and a lot about
the person I am in real life, because we should trust eachother.
Our ID's on Freenet and our reallife id's are linked. But I can't
know what my friend does and hides from me. He can make me unsafe
for our shared 'secrets', even if there aren't any.

Now nobody in real life knows that I run a node. My ISP and LE can
see it, but FN should be designed to keep them from knowing what I
talk about or who I am on Freenet. My reallife me is separated from
the FN 'me'. That feels more safe to me.

Is that false logic?