Diddy Bird <luingrl at ...> writes:

> Hi, I know next to nothing about computers but would
> like to check out some files I've been told are on
> freenet.  So, I'm trying to install it but have run
> into some problems.
>
> Okay, I'm running Mac OSX 10.3.9.  I've downloaded the
> JVM (jre1.5.0_06), figured out that "Terminal" is the
> name of the program to type "java -version" into, and
> got the
> java version "1.4.2_09"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
> (build 1.4.2_09-233)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-56, mixed
> mode)

Hmm, well as you can see from the above version information you still have the
built-in version of java 1.4.2 as the default, so either you haven't installed
1.5 or haven't made it the preferred version.

Are you using the official Apple OSX installer for 1.5? If not, follow the
instructions here :

The built in 1.4.2 should work by the way, *but* there are reports that at least
some versions tend to crash the kernel and thus hang the machine eventually. So
using 1.5 is advisable, I haven't seen reports of that doing the same thing.

> message.  But now I'm lost.  The start guide says to
> check where the java installer has placed the files
> (no idea how to do that)

According to apple, you can find a "new Java Preferences utility" in
/Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/ . Run that and choose to use 1.5 as the
default. I've never seen it (or even seen OSX) so I couldn't tell you how
exactly, but I would imagine you just select Java 1.5 off a list or something.

> and then there's a bunch of
> googlygook about something called ~/.profile.
> PATH=$PATH:/opt/sun-jre-1.5.0_04/bin did nothing.

Because that example is for Linux, I doubt OSX even has an /opt :)
This step should not be neccessary on OSX, use the java preferences utility
mentioned above instead.

> The next step made more sense.  I downloaded freenet
> and tried typing the first of the list of commands to
> enter into terminal, but when I try the first one it
> says:tar (child): freenet-latest.tgz: Cannot open:
> (null)
> tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> tar: Child returned status 2

Are you sure it's called freenet-latest.tgz? The version linked from the main
project download page is called freenet-stable-latest.tgz .
Note the different filename, i.e. you need to do
"tar -zxvf freenet-stable-latest.tgz" in this case.

Also check it's about 6 MB, if not you may have an incomplete download and need
to download it again.

If the command line still won't work try locating and double clicking it in the
Finder. You ought to get some sort of archive manager that lets you unzip it
wherever you want.

> So, obviously, I need to do something.  When I try to
> open start-freenet.sh it says there's no default
> program.  *sigh*  Help?

Yeah, this is because it failed to unzip in the previous step for whatever
reason so you don't have a start-freenet.sh yet. When it does unzip you will get
a "freenet" directory, and start-freenet.sh is inside there along with the rest
of freenet. Assuming you just unzipped at the command prompt, you should be able
to do :

cd freenet
chmod u+x *.sh
./start-freenet.sh

I realise that all this is not exactly user friendly. Ideally we should have a
proper OSX installer to make this process easier, if there are any Mac
developers out there this would be a worthwhile project :)

> Christina

Bob