Matthew Toseland wrote:

> (snip of already discussed stuff)

>>In practice you will have a big opennet unsuitable for
>>your test purposes and some small darknets, maybe unknown to you, and
>>probably so small to be of no value to your intention of testing the
>>global scalable darknet. Aren't WASTE networks already useful for these
>>people? They don't scale but they serve for reduced groups with very
>>specific interests.
>

> Why do you think it would not scale? It CAN scale. It is possible for it
> to route on a very large network. And my friends and my friend's friends
> are two different sets of people. Especially in the initial situation in
> the West, where there is no persecution and therefore no need to require
> them to be Ultimately Trustworthy. Just because WASTE doesn't scale does
> NOT mean Freenet can't scale.

I was specifically refering to WASTE, not freenet. What I was saying is
that for small darknets there's already WASTE.

>>Maybe I've missed something in the discussion, so, will be there some
>>forced incompatibility in the nodes to prevent adding trusted and
>>untrusted links?
>
> Don't tempt me. :)
>
>>The only outcome I can foresee is that one of the two networks will
>>prevail. Why? Either because the darknet routing works and the opennet
>>don't, either because it works in the opennet and all the content is
>>there. Once that happens, the network will be no longer a pure darknet
>>in any case.
>
> And then they destroy the opennet. And we're stuffed.
>
>>So, if I've understood you right (and please correct me if not), your
>>main concern is to have a big darknet with the right topology.
>
> Yes.

I frankly have a hard time figuring how this can be achieved. When 0.7
is out I guess you and Ian will be the only persons I could ask for
their references, and how would you trust me? What if I have a single
trusted reference, and he's not 24/7 online?

>>What do you think about this: use some sophisticated management of
>>links. You have two categories: trusted and untrusted. You may transfer
>>your links between these, and activate these independently.
>>
>>The network can get a quick start with people using untrusted links.
>>When the network has a reasonable size, it may be easy for people to
>>find trusted friends. At that point, you make their links trusted and
>>deactivate the untrusted ones. Or you reduce the number of them until
>>you need these no more. So the network will progressively mutate into
>>darknet form. Feasible?
>
> How do you find these links? Central introduction servers? Path folding?
> Either way the information is still out there, and the nodes can still
> be harvested.

I'm struggling about how we could do this. I'll come back later with any
ideas.