Progress can be done in ways that will minimize the pain of progression.  In
the past, Freenet had stable and unstable branches.  New users were directed
to the stable branch while developers and the adventurous users used the
unstable branch.  This worked well in the past.

What I don't understand is why new users are being directed to the unstable
alpha 0.7 branch while the 0.5 version is a viable network with a large user
base.  That doesn't make sense.