I'm a college student writing a column for the student
newspaper about ways that the technically adept can
contribute to free speech in China, and would like to
reccomend Freenet.  However, I know that our network
administrators use commercial traffic shaping software
to degrade or block most file-sharing services, and I
was hoping someone could indicate how easily ISPs can
detect Freenet traffic.

I've tested it briefly, and am able to get about
10kb/sec down (I simply downloaded two random music
files), and probably higher up.  But I don't know
whether this is within the normal range, or whether
Freenet traffic is being shaped and adding more users
would be pointless (although I suspect the former).
Does Freenet use fixed ports, and is there some kind
of unencrypted connection protocol or something that
could be sniffed for?  Basically, I'm trying to
determine whether this is something worth
reccomending, or whether I should just suggest that
people run Tor servers.

Many, many thanks in advance, and keep up the great
work.

toptennut