On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 06:02:52AM +0000, / phred / wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions so far!
> A couple clarifications:
> I was thinking of running Ubuntu or Knoppix.
> I want to run Fuqid & frost on the remote windows machine(s).
> (does that make it alot harder)

A bit harder certainly. You have to set the fcp.allowedHosts setting,
and you may need to tell FUQID it's running remotely; also there may be
some performance degradation and extra temp space usage (freenet and
fuqid work together best if they're on the same filesystem; they can
then write stuff directly to disk / read it directly from disk, saving a
lot of temp space).

> I've messed around with linux a few times over the last dozen or so years,
> but have always gone back to the dark side... Installation of software -
> applications & drivers - can be a real pain, Windows almost always just
> works. I consider myself a fairly advanced windows user (as would the
> people who call me for tech support), but linux often makes me feel
> clueless. I've played around recently with some of the "live" distros,
> which seem pretty decent, but I haven't had to install anything in extra in
> them yet. So hopefully, the stuff needed to make freenet work won't lead me
> down the highway to dependency hell...

We don't require anything really nasty except for Java. I don't know how
Ubuntu handles it, on debian (on which Ubuntu is based) you can use a
package called make-jpkg to turn a sun binary into a real package, then
install that; you don't get auto-updating, but you do get the other
advantages of packages.

Anything you can apt-get will generally Just Work; dependancy hell will
only happen to you if you need something really recent, or you use the
unstable or experimental distributions, in my experience. Having said
that ubuntu is somewhat less stable than debian proper.

Good luck!
Matthew J Toseland - toad at amphibian.dyndns.org