On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 07:05:11PM -0500, Brandon Low wrote:
> I do not give permission for any microscopic amount of code that may
> exist of mine in current freenet to be tagged GPL V2 or later, GPL V2
> only for me.

As far as I can see you haven't made any commits that affect 0.7.

> I won't go into the reasons for this, they are well discussed by the
> document recently published by the linux kernel developers.

Linus is always right. Repeat after me, Linus is always right.

Seriously, I don't see why we shouldn't have a discussion about this.

Which of the following do you want to do?:

1. Use Freenet in TCPA systems without giving the user the right to run
modified code? (The "give away your root password" thing is nonsense).
(I don't think we're likely to have any megacorp sponsors)
2. Distribute free software while asserting patent rights on it, and
therefore charging a per user fee for the patent license?
(I don't think we're likely to have any megacorp sponsors)

As I understand it the compatibility issues are considerably easier on
GPL3. If you add a file which is, for example, ASL2, all you have to do
is include the license of that file as well as the GPL3, and the
relevant section 7 additional restriction is automatically added. Remove
that file and it is removed.

Or perhaps you are going to rewrite the entire Apache Commons corpus
under GPL2-compatible terms? Admittedly we only want to use a few
archiving clases from Commons Compress, and we can probably include ASL2
code anyway with GPL2 code, but that's technically a conflict and we
should avoid it if possible - probably by having the main source as GPL2
or later (not necessarily GPL3), and including the ASL2 code.