On 7/25/05, Christian Rohrmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I haven't found that to be true. It doesn't create any rules for SSH.
> pfSense has a wide selection of games and P2P software that it will make
> rules and queues for, but not SSH, unless I overlooked something.
> Certainly trying to SSH whilst FTPing a large suffered from the same
> massive lag as always.

SSH sets the TOS lowdelay bit on all it's ACKs, so non-bulk SSH should
by default go into the ACK queue.  Any chance you were saturating your
downstream with ACKs, which would force SSH and FTP to then compete
within the same queue?

> I would still like to know what the 6 fields in the traffic shaper
> scheduler are for though!

I'll update the code with comments, in the meantime, from the pf.conf man page:
     The hfsc scheduler supports some additional options:

     realtime _sc_
                 The minimum required bandwidth for the queue.

     upperlimit _sc_
                 The maximum allowed bandwidth for the queue.

     linkshare _sc_
                 The bandwidth share of a backlogged queue.

     <sc> is an acronym for service curve.

     The format for service curve specifications is (m1, d, m2).  m2 controls
     the bandwidth assigned to the queue.  m1 and d are optional and can be
     used to control the initial bandwidth assignment.  For the first d mil-
     liseconds the queue gets the bandwidth given as m1, afterwards the value
     given in m2.

The boxes correspond to m1, d, m2 in that order (except m1 and d are
not optional with pfsense).