Thanks Scott,

I think I now have the full picture - captive portal works on pfsense but doesn't support bandwidth restrictions due to the freeradius server package being out of date, but it is possible to creat a script to connect to pfsense via ssh and alter the pf table.

Looks like it's impossible to set bandwidth limits for a captive portal user on pfsense for now then.

Cheers,  James....