How to get fbsd portcollection working:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
(personally I don't play with ports on my pfS boxes. There're
precompiled packages often that are a _more_ safe option. Compiling
can cause headache if you don't know what you're doin)

and there are mc packages ready you can use. I suggest the light
option if you don't want perl and loads of other pkgs.

try something like
# pkg_add -r mc-light-4.1.40.p9_5

/bkw