I'd also like to know which rl cards these are. Can you send the output
of pciconf -lv?

thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Buechler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 8:31 AM
Cc: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] iperf question

On 8/18/05, Randy B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Buechler wrote:
> > Not unless you're running both a client and server at each end.
>
> Unfortunately, not the case -

Yes it is.  iperf doesn't test full duplex, it's one direction only
(with one connection, run a server and a client on each side and you
can test full duplex).  You'll never get more than 100 Mb on a 100Mb
link or 10 Mb on a 10 Mb link, even if it's full duplex, with a single
iperf server and client.

> I'm able to get 93Mb to another machine on the network - acceptable,
> given the cheap switch I have.

that's roughly as good as you're going to get on 100 Mb.

> I have two rl cards and one sis - sis0 is linked to my cable modem and
> my LAN is to rl0.  The RL NICs are both rather new, and both say
they've
> autonegotiated at 100Mb.

rl's are known for poor performance, but should be better than that
unless you're only running a 100-200 MHz machine or so.

what duplex does it say?  or does it not say?  I'm still thinking
duplex mismatch, though 20 something Mb is quite a bit for having a
mismatch.

You should be seeing:

in your ifconfig output.  Exactly what are you seeing on that line?

-cmb