From: Dan Swartzendruber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 7:27 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: RE: [pfSense Support] antivirus and etc

At 08:22 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
>Dan,
>
>You're opening up a real potential for DoSing the firewall if you have an
>especially busy Exchange server that gets hit by some mass mailer worm.  I
>would rather have a separate instance of clamav running on my postfix (or
>whatever MTA you choose to love) box.

Well, I did say that was an option.  That said, I'm not sure I buy
that.  Keep in mind, the clamav instance running on pfsense will only
be as busy as the MTA makes it.  Most non-enterprise MTAs (like mine)
will only allow a handful of inbound connections at a time, and until
the virus check is complete, no further smtp connections will be
allowed.  I guess it's a decision to make depending on the CPU
horsepower available on firewall and mail server.