From: Bill Marquette [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 3:42 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Diagnostics: DHCP leases v0.88

On 10/24/05, Frimmel, Ivan (ISS South Africa) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> From what I can recall from IP 101 I did years ago .. Pinging a host
> will still resolve an IP to MAC (ARP), the host may not echo the ICMP
> back.. But you should still get an ARP table entry on the requestor..
> Am I wrong?

At which point we need do nothing further as I already check the ARP
table on the firewall.  If it's seen _any_ activity from the machine in
question to or through the firewall in the last few minutes, it's
considered online.  I'm not going to start pinging devices - doing so
would be very shortsighted.  In the case of a home network with less
than a dozen machines with DHCP, we could make it relatively responsive,
but with a ping timeout of 1 second PER machine, on a larger network,
this is extremely impractical.