From looking at this post:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2004-October/008679.html

it seems that there were changes to OpenSSH if pam is enabled by default.  Specificly:

/usr/src/UPDATING:

20040226:
       Some sshd configuration defaults have changed: protocol version 1
       is no longer enabled by default, and password authentication is
       disabled by default if PAM is enabled (which it is by default).
       OpenSSH clients should not be affected by this; other clients may
       have to be reconfigured, upgraded or replaced.

I would think that me adding both

ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

and

PasswordAuthentication  yes

would solve the problem, but it seems that nothing has changed.  Maybe I'll try a reboot :)

Scott Ullrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

10/25/2005 01:48 PM

Please respond to
support

support@pfsense.com
cc
Subject
Re: [pfSense Support] Default SSH Config?

We use a stock OpenSSH from FreeBSD.  I have not seen any mention of
issues on the FreeBSD lists.

Scott